My Creative Blog + MegaCreative

Stenciled Wall Panels {Royal Design Studio}

One of my 2012 goals was to make my family room reflect ME a little bit more. I'm not going for some adult, anti-kid room or anything… I just want the style to fit me a bit more. Okay, and if I'm being honest, the room currently has no style at all, it's sort of a mish-mash of randomness. The first step in this direction is… Stenciled Wall Panels

Since we moved in, I've never been sure of what to do on either side of the fireplace. I've never wanted to compete with the fireplace, because I love the stacked stone so much. We've talked about built-ins someday, but someday isn't any time soon. So, we decided to try something a bit more creative.
Wall stencils have been around for as long as I can remember. I definitely stenciled a border of berries and leaves in our very first master bedroom. Gag! Well, thank goodness they've come a long way! Royal Design Studio is my very favorite place to get stencils! Seriously, I bought a stencil a year ago from another unnamed company and it bled like crazy because it just wasn't made of heavy plastic. Royal's stencil was strong enough for a perfectionist like me! Ok, so here's what I did… We measured out a big old rectangle on both sides of the fp and then used a chalk-line to get super straight lines. I love my chalk-line. I use it all the time!

Then, I used another favorite, Scotch blue tape to outline the shape. (Random note: Did you know Picnic.com has a"skinny" edit button. Of course I tried it on my butt for this picture, but it didn't do a blessed thing. Drats!)

Then, it was time to line up my stencil and get painting! (Use a level to get the stencil straight. Royal Design Studio sells this cute little level that clips right onto the stencil. Genius!)

Rather than rolling this stencil, I used the brush method. Basically just tap the wall over and over and over again.

Darn that I'm easily distracted. Zoey 101… seriously?? I couldn't focus at all until I knew if little Chase and Zoey made up! (yes, I'm a lame mom of 4 kids)

Thankfully, after Zoey ended, I was able to get down to work…

Whoa! Look at that fancy time lapse…

I'm a stenciling machine!

Then, it was onto the other side. The whole process only took me a little over an hour of stenciling. I have to mention that a good brush is essential. I can't stress this enough. My Royal Design Studio brush was over at Jess' house, so I started stenciling with a small, craft store brush and it was a waste of time. I did one section and then stopped and waited for my brush. The cruddy brush took forever, was leaving bristles all over the wall, and needed two coats. Once I got my big, Royal Design brush it was so.much.easier! Look at the difference…

Here's how the room looks right now… and here's where I need your help!

My original plan was to trim out the stencil with molding (the molding will be the same grey color as the stripe on the curtains and the wall), but now that it's on the wall I'm unsure of what direction to go in. Here are my options… Option # 1- Rectangle Trim

Option #2- Square Trim

Option # 3- Rows of Trim

Option # 4- You Tell Me! What other ideas do you have for me?
I can't wait to hear your opinion and ideas! I plan to finish the wall this weekend!

PS- Two things… 1- My mantle will be decorated one of these days… hopefully for the"after" pics. 2- My children don't sit around watching TV all day…I took my pics over a span of two days!

art, Craft, creative, and more:

Stenciled Wall Panels {Royal Design Studio} + MegaCreative