My Creative Blog + Spray paint

DIY Planters

Have you ever noticed how incredibly expensive planters are? For about $40 I could get one itty bitty planter, that's not even cute. No thanks. I decided I would DIY planters that would work perfectly with my new painted door and rockin' house numbers. I didn't want anything to frilly, or girly. I wanted my style inside my house, reflected on the outside too! This project cost me $20 each, was incredibly simple, and totally fits my style.

Color Block Planter

Here's What you'll need to DIY your own color block, tiered planters: Plastic planters (mine were from Target) 2 colors of spray paint 1 color of latex paint Dirt, Mulch, Plants, Etc.
I started with these plain Jane planters from Target (find them here). You can't really tell how big they are, but they're pretty big (I can't wrap my arms around the top of the large one- I tried, so that gives you an idea and a weird mental picture. Sorry about that!) They cost $7 for the medium and $13 for the extra large.

DSC_0306

The first step was to spray paint the middle color. I used Valspar's grey primer because I love the color.

DSC_0310

You don't need to worry about the top or bottom at all. Just get a nice, even coat on the middle. I did two light coats on mine.

IMG_0657

I painted the top color block with the same color I recently used on my front door. I'm a bit obsessed with it. I didn't need to tape for a clean line, because the planter had a lip that I was able to use as a guide. Also, make sure you paint down pretty far on the inside. I'm assuming your house guests will be taller than the planters, so they'll get a peek down inside.

DSC_0327

The next step, made this DIYer do the dance of joy (remember Perfect Strangers?) because it saved me so much time! I used a paint can opener to pop the bottom of the planters. I'll warn you, it will sound like you're breaking them, but you're not! They'll pop right back on when you're done painting them.

DSC_0336

Taking the bottom off, meant no need for tape or cutting in. Just spray paint the bottom whatever color you'd like. This was my little work station (aka messy garage).

DSC_0340

Put the pieces all together and you're left with cool, color block planters.

DSC_0343

They're nice like that, but I wanted to take it up a notch! I wanted some height, so I stacked them up. I didn't do any permanent attaching or anything, just fill the bottom with dirt, plant your flowers, add the next planter, and repeat.
Again, remember the angle people will see them from when they walk in… mulch is a must. No one wants to see this…

Boxwood Plants

I used white wave petunias on the bottom and a boxwood on top.

Tiered planter

Here was my porch a few weeks ago. It was a sad situation… trust me, I know!

Porch Before

Take a look now! I think it's just a tad more welcoming don't you?

Porch Update

For a grand total of $40 and less than an hour, I got two color block, tiered planters that perfectly match my style and house colors. (You can see the door and house numbers Here) Now… if only I can keep the plants alive… What do you think of my DIY Planter Upcycle?

**Since my mom loved my planters, she kind of hinted around to wanting one of her own. Here's what she got for Mother's Day! Black and Red to match her house!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you hear our BIG NEWS?

Click here for our announcement post with all the fun details!! We can't wait for July 7th!!

jess
Monica

diy, gardening, landscaping, MegaCreative, and more:

DIY Planters + Spray paint