My Creative Blog + MegaCreative

White Cabinet Reveal! {Kitchen Update}

Before you get your hopes up, this is not a total room reveal. (I can already hear the booing and hissing.) We still have loads of final details to finish up, but I wanted to give you a peek at our freshly-painted cabinets, which I am head over heels in love with. You may remember that our goal was to lighten and brighten our kitchen by painting the cabinets white, adding a neutral color to the walls, and taking down some unused cabinets. We then added open shelving, a fabulous stenciled wall and a beautiful new pendant light with custom shade. Today I'm just sharing the take-your-breath away cabinet transformation, so I'll give you the nitty-gritty details of our painting process in a post next week. You may remember that this is how we started out:

And here's where we are today:

I know, right? It doesn't even look like the same room! It's such a calming space, and is ten times brighter. Plus, because the cabinets are white, the space seems so much more open and a lot bigger.

My hubs finished off the half-wall and added a ledge made of a 1x12 piece of pine. He painted it, sanded the edges until they were rounded, and then trimmed it out with moulding.

Well, fickle, little me decided I didn't like the black brackets used to hold up my shelves, so we took them all down and are in the process of painting them white. My poor husband.

Painting the cabinets has made me want to change the countertops out ASAP, but we're being patient and are waiting until it fits in the budget. We took a trip to Ikea and were told that, based on our measurements, unfinished butcher block counters would cost us around $300. Not bad at all, but that's just not going to happen any time soon. Don't tell my hubs, but I'm hoping that Fall will be ther right time.; )

Yes, in case you were wondering, I have decided to take back my brown Ikea curtains and replace them with navy panels. Thanks for all of your input!

The next phase will be installing two shelves to the right of the refrigerator. The bottom shelf will house the microwave, so that we can have a bit more counter-space. You can get a good idea by my rough (and I mean really rough) drawing below:

Before that happens, though we have to take care of this little problem behind the fridge:

We moved our oven across the room to the other side of the kitchen, but the problem is that we originally had a gas oven, and so there is a pretty substantial gas valve sticking out from the wall. As a result, the fridge doesn't sit flush against the wall. We're pretty sure we can cap off the valve, but we're going to consult an expert because the last thing we want is our house to set on fire after all the hard work we've put into it!

I really am starting to love our kitchen and can't wait to start adding some color back into it with accessories and linens (dish towels etc.)!

Now, when you walk in the front door, the house feels clean, fresh and bright! Hallelujah!
What are your feelings about white kitchens? Beautiful or boring?

jess

art, Design, diy, Home, Kitchen, and more:

White Cabinet Reveal! {Kitchen Update} + MegaCreative