My Creative Blog + tutorials

Nate's 12 Days of Holiday DIYs {Day 1}

Hey there! We hope you all got to see our Nate Show episode yesterday. If not, no sweat, we've posted them here on the blog! Okay, now get ready for Day 1 of our 12 days!! We're super excited to share today's project with you because it didn't get much face time on the show, but is an awesome project that you'll want to try! Holiday Handwritten Lamp Shade

We love this DIY project because it's adorable, BUT it's also removable! No need to ruin a perfect lampshade just for the holidays. Come January 1st, you can say adios! Here's how I (Monica) did it… While shopping through Jess' house, I found these great lamps that Jess had thrifted and added IKEA shades to. I immediately thought they would look awesome in her Christmas basement!

The best thing about these IKEA shades is that the completely unroll! Score! (If your lamp doesn't unroll, don't fret, just wrap the fabric around it and then cut. A tiny bit more tricky, but good news! You have more than 48 hours to do it! I was in a bit of a rush!) For this project I actually used a khaki sheet from our first Nate Crate Challenge, but you can use any fabric or kraft paper for that matter. You want to trim your fabric so that there is about 1/4 inch excess on all sides.

Once the fabric is cut, use a glue gun or adhesive to attach the fabric to the inside of the shade. If using a glue gun, I promise you a few blisters. I think I still have two! Yikers! Do this step as neatly as you can because it will be slightly visible when the light shines through the shade.

The next step is to grab a Sharpie or fabric marker and write on the shade. I prefer a Sharpie, because the point is a bit sharper (duh, it's called a Sharpie! Sorry.cheesy, I know) For Jess' shade I wrote the first verse to Joy to the World, but you could write anything. A poem, quote, story etc… The only tip here is to stagger your words. I started the first line with"Joy to the World"… and the second line with wherever the first left off, unless it was too similar. And, If you're like me, you might hate seeing your own handwriting, but other people probably think it looks fine.

(Sorry about the frumpy shirt I borrowed from Jess' husband's dresser. It was about midnight at this point!) Once the writing is done, just reassemble your shade and admire your handiwork! It makes a cool impact, with a modern touch. If you like a more traditional feel, you could write in a more script fashion.

So what do you think? I pretty much love it! (and I think Jess does too!)

So, there you have it a simple Holiday Handwritten Lampshade! Now, how many of you are going to search through your house for just the right lamp??
Thanks again Nate for letting us share all the inside scoop of our Nate's Crate DIYs! Check back Monday for the fabulous accent branch Jess created for me!

12 Days of DIY, art, diy, Fabric, Holidays, MegaCreative, nate berkus, The Nate Show, and more:

Nate's 12 Days of Holiday DIYs {Day 1} + tutorials