My Creative Blog + TrueCreative

DIY Headboards

Well, many of you have asked, so I thought now was the time to share how my hubs and I made our headboard out of an old door. It truly is a VERY easy project, and like I mentioned before, is super inexpensive! Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the process, because we did this several years ago before I was into taking pictures of everything just in case it would make a good blog post.: )

First, I just want to remind you that this project was very low-budget, using items we already had. In addition, neither my husband or I cared what it looked like behind/below the bed. It's not perfect, so if you're looking for something perfect (ahem! Monica and Eric), you won't find it here. Anyway, we started with a plain, interior door that we had removed from another area in the house (read: FREE!) I painted it the color of three of the walls in our bedroom. We measured the ends and cut off the top part of the door using a saw. We held the door up to the wall with the bed in place so we knew how high we wanted it. Then, we took a 2x4 from the random collection of wood in our attic, levelled it, and mounted it to the wall using screws and a drill.

Finally, we rested the door on top of the 2x4 (making sure that the hole for the door handle was on the bottom), checked to see if it was level, and then put two screws on either end of the top of the door into the wall. I painted the screws the same color of the door so that they blend in and you almost don't notice them.

That's it! Pretty darn easy, and it cost us nothing. Score!
Need some other DIY Headboard inspiration?
I've rounded up my favorite DIY headboard projects and can't wait to share them with you! Just click on the link to be taken to the instructions on how to make them. (And as always, if you attempt to make one of these headboard projects, please send us a picture!)

Southern Living
I love this headboard made out of a mantel. So creative, and an awesome spot to showcase some of your favorite treasures.

Too Much Time on my Hands
Monica showcased a headboard made from a pallet in this post, but here is another example of how you can turn a boring, old pallet into something fabulous!

guest1.jpg

Apartment Therapy Wouldn't it be fun to write love notes to your hubby that he could see when he wakes up (or goes to bed; ) Or, use it as a place to tell your kids how special they are to you. How about writing something you love about them every day for a year? So many possibilities!

 HGTV
I know I've seen shutters at yardsales or flea markets in the past, but who knew they had so much potential grouped together as a headboard??!!

HGTV
This headboard can be made using 1x6 whitewood boards for LESS THAN $100! An added bonus is that you can change the color depending on the color scheme of your bedding.

Isabella & Max
This padded fabric headboard makes a major statement and is the focal point of this whole room. Definitely not a beginner's project, but is worth giving it a try.

Our Vintage Home Love
And finally, my favorite of all. I love this look so much that I may be attempting it soon. Stay tuned!

Which headboard can you envision yourself falling asleep under?

Have a great day!

Linking up to: Made by You Mondays, Craftomaniac Mondays, Market Yourself Monday, Tip Me Tuesday, Tutorials and Tips

Design, diy, Home, and more:

DIY Headboards + TrueCreative