My Creative Blog + [MegaCreative]

How to Add {Awesome} House Numbers

Thanks for all your great comments about my new front door color. Valspar's Spritz of Lime paint might be a new obsession for me! I gave you a little sneak peek of the door numbers yesterday, but today I'll give you the full low down. Adding numbers to a metal door can be tricky, but don't worry, I made all the mistakes for you and can save you some time!

Add numbers

My front door is heavy, and metal or something like it… bottom line, it's not wood. I didn't want to make any holes in it. I found these clean lined, modern house numbers at Lowes. I had big plans to DIY numbers out of MDF, but for $4.99 each, I decided these would work just fine. I'm all about the DIY, but not when it makes more sense to just buy em!

DSC_0228

So… metal numbers on a metal door… hmm… I'm smart (or so I think…) so I decided heavy-duty, double sided magnet was a perfect non-permanent solution. This way, depending on what wreath (or not) I have on my door, I can move the numbers around! Pure Genius!

DSC_0231

The magnet has adhesive on one side, so just cut little strips and stick it to the back.

DSC_0236

Like this!

DSC_0242

Umm… Guess what?? I guess my door isn't really metal and doesn't work with a magnet. DARN! Would have been nice to check that out first. Oops!

IMG_0573

They work great on my fridge! So if you even need house numbers on a fridge, now you know how!

DSC_0245

Okay, plan B… off I went to Lowe's with plans to get double sided adhesive. I asked the nice man where the industrial strength tape would be found. Of course he asked about my project and had a better idea. He suggested industrial velcro.

DSC_0246

It's nice and heavy duty, so I was swayed from my plan and gave it a try.

DSC_0251

Apply it the same as the magnet…

DSC_0253

Because this stuff is sticky, I wanted to be sure I had it straight. Look how muddy my level is… not really sure why…

DSC_0256

Peel the plastic off the adhesive and firmly press on…

DSC_0259

Wait 30 seconds and…
watch them fall to the ground. ARRRGGG! This is the point where I started to get a wee bit annoyed. Then I started to laugh… why would I think velcro was a better idea than just double sided adhesive? I must have had temporary brain loss.

IMG_0573

Here's the winner and what I should have used from the start. So, if you want to add house numbers, just begin here and skip the other methods I tried!

tape

Finally! There they are. Nice and permanent (well sorta, if I want to remove them I can pull them off, and I'd just need to touch up paint)

door close up

I love the way they look against the green/yellow!

DSC_0270

And just as a reminder, here's what else I have planned for my porch!

To do list

There ya have it… 2 ways NOT to add numbers, and 1 way that works like a charm! Aren't you glad you have me to do all the trial and error for you? Do you have numbers on your door? Do Tell!

Monica
Follow Me on Pinterest