My Creative Blog + TrueCreative

The Evolving House: Dining Room Table Conundrum

I've mentioned it before… we love to have people over. One thing we loved about our new house from the start, was the large dining room. However, we soon realized that to buy a BIG table you need a BIG budget. We shopped and shopped and eventually settled on a table with all the style we wanted, a decent price tag, but we compromised on the size.

About a week after getting the table I had buyer's regret and tried to return it. No, soup… 7 day return policy. We kept it another month or so and finally I decided to call it a loss and sell it on Craig's list. Today we sold it to an awesome family and I'm left with this… back to square one…

Here are a few tables that I love, sans the pricetags…

Pottery Barn

Pottery Barn

Restoration Hardware

Restoration Hardware Although, these tables still aren't long enough for me. I think I need to give the Duggars a call, because I want something like this… (okay, maybe not that long!)

The next idea was to purchase a conference table. Yup, you read it correctly. A super modern approach with an awesome price.

While is option is still"on the table" (sorry,couldn't resist!) I'm not totally sold. So, here's my most recent plan… I'm making a Dining Room Table!
Thanks to Ana White's blog post I really think I might be able to pull this off! This is a table that another reader made herself and it was her first woodworking project as well. She blogged about it here, and the best part is that the total cost was under $200! Amazing!

These plans look simple enough right???

Thankfully, I have some talented people in my life that I will definitely be talking to for advice and instruction along the way. I am so excited to get started and plan on starting it this weekend! I also think I might go with these chairs from Better Homes and Gardens because they're only $39.99 each and I want about 14 of them!

So, am I crazy? Have you ever attempted something totally outside of your comfort zone?

art, Design, Home, and more:

The Evolving House: Dining Room Table Conundrum + TrueCreative