My Creative Blog + interior

Sweet Blackberries

I love blackberries. They're my favorite berry to eat in the languid days of late summer. When I lived in Maine, my house had a long hedge of them, and I used to pick them like mad. Waiting for those berries to ripen was one of my annual pursuits. Enjoying their sun-warmed sweetness was one of the highlights of my summers there.

We also bought a loaf of crusty wheat bread...

....to enjoy one of our favorite weekend breakfast treats — French Toast. Hubby makes these. He uses a recipe from Joy of Cooking, but then adds a few extra spices that make them extra special.
Joy of Cooking recipe:
4 eggs 1/2 teaspoon of salt 1 cup of milk 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Hubby's extra spices:
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 1/4 teaspoon cardamon 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Combine all of the above ingredients in a square shallow dish. Dip bread slices in and grill until done.
Top with fresh fruit and maple syrup.

Design, Farmhouse Table, and more:

Sweet Blackberries + interior