My Creative Blog + interior

That boy sure is handy!

Ever since I saw the cover of the February issue of Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles magazine with this image I have been coveting those pedestals and urns. Unfortunately they're antiques and already sold from a shop that no longer exists. I've searched everywhere for affordable antique pedestals but they're usually over a thousand dollars and new ones somehow never look the way I want them to'...what to do?

WHAT TO DO, why show the magazine to mister man of course because he could build those pedestals easily. I mean how tough could they be to make, they're just a couple of pieces of wood banged together, some decorative trim and voile, wife happy right?

If there's one thing mister man is it's accommodating and he likes building stuff so he said no problem. He took a look around to see what he had on hand to make them with, of course this is where I had the problem'not spending any money to buy nice new clean wood? You see that dirty piece of wood he's working on and the one leaning up against the table saw, when he said he was using it for my pedestals I had a moments hesitation. Those dirty 2x4's were used for the cement forms for the footers of the barn stone walls and he used that wood as a straight edge when building the stone walls, haven't they've done enough duty already? I was a tad panicked!

I tried to say something but he said not to panic and I guess when someone else is doing you a favor you shouldn't question'yeah right! But it's all good he was only using that dirty wood for the center forms and nobody would ever see it.

He even had some nice clean 100 plus year old antique pine wood for the face, it was a rejected piece of pine from our antique flooring going in the upstairs part of the barn. It was rejected for the floor because it had a very large knot and split in it but mister man had no problems with it. Kind of nice that the things that went into renovating our antique barn was also going into my pedestals.

He even had cut nails that look antique since the round new kind wouldn't look right. The only thing he had to buy were the two different trims for the top and bottom and those only cost $24 all total. The heck with thousand dollar pedestals mine just cost $24 bucks and twelve hours of mister man's time! He even made them to the height and size I wanted'what a guy huh? (Yes I'm sucking up here!)

So what do you think? They came out exactly like the picture minus the beautiful gray stain but now it's my turn to add those touches since I never ever let mister man paint anything. He hates to paint/stain and he's really bad at it, it's always good to know ones strengths.

Some beautiful antique urns courtesy of Brimfield, the lichen was free!

I've ordered some dried moss to place in the urns and I think we're almost set, just have to stain those puppies but it has been raining here for a solid week! Mister man is definitely a keeper huh? He's always making me things from pictures, love it! So what do you think of my new/old pedestals?
?

and more:

That boy sure is handy! + interior