My Creative Blog + Swedish settee

Seating Pleasure...

Every year I like to wander about my home and see what it's lacking or needs in the form of furniture and accessories. Over the holidays I noticed I definitely need more lighting but for a couple of years now I've been coveting a Swedish settee.

image from An Angel at my Table
They look amazing in pairs, love this image with the dark burlap dress forms. But an antique settee, even a reproduction can cost in the thousands. And to be honest a Swedish settee wouldn't really go well with my other furniture in my home but it would in my studio.

Painted French sofa from A. Tyner Antiques
At first I was considering a solid back settee to use in my studio for photography but then I started seriously looking around.

Reproduction settee from French Garden House

circa 1900 Gustavian style settee from Alhambra Antiques

rare, small settee, circa 1850, Cupboards & Roses Swedish Antiques
I love this small settee at only 52" long, they're typically 70" plus in length but you pay for that smaller rare size. Love the faces on the arms.

image from I Vassalletti
This settee has a solid back with open arms

circa 1810 gray painted settee from Judy Frankel Antiques
Then I discovered the gray painted settee's with the burlap seat cushions and fell in love! But I'm a tad worried it might be to matchy with my French chair below.

My French 19th century Louis XVI style cane armchair
The similarity you often see between French and Swedish furniture came from the Swedes traveling to France and soaking up the styles of Louis in 1770 at Versailles.
So what's your opinion, do you think an open back settee is too matchy for my chair? What's your favorite style of Swedish settee?

art, Design, interior, and more:

Seating Pleasure... + Swedish settee