My Creative Blog + TrueCreative

Dress up that Front Porch! {Fall-Lovers Series: Day 4}

We're on a roll here with our Fall-Lovers Series. I'm ready to curl up with a good book, under a warm blanket, drinking a Pumpkin Spice Chai from Starbucks. You? If you missed the first 3 days in our series, click here, here, and here to catch yourself up!

I'm definitely a mums and pumpkins kind of gal. Keep it simple and keep it totally fallish. I'll be honest, though. Today it was a mere 90 degrees here in Bucks County, so decking out my front porch for Fall was the last thing on my mind. Even though I've seen a few places put out mums already, I'm not quite ready to get mine. I did manage to find a few pictures of my front porch from years past:

My house just naturally lends itself to Fall colors since our front door and shutters are a chocolate brown color.

I painted plain old fake terracotta planters a bright, fallish, cheerful yellow which popped beautifully against the mums. You won't find that little cutie on the step in stores, though. She's all mine.

This is the view looking out from our foyer on a rainy Fall day. I just love the big trees all over our property that whose leaves turn such lovely colors.
I have bigger plans this year for my front porch, which I hope will actually happen sometime before Halloween (we host a Halloween/Trick-or-Treating party every year). But who knows?! Anyway, since I'm not offering much in the way of inspiration from my own home, how about these beauties?

Front Porch Decor

Source: bing.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Pottery Barn just does it best, don't they? This look is a little over the top in my humble opinion, but there's no doubt as to which season they're celebrating in this house.

Source: iheartmygluegun.com via Jessica on Pinterest

Source: midwestliving.com via Jessica on Pinterest

Source: uncommondesignsonline.com via Jessica on Pinterest
If you ever browse Pinterest, then you've probably seen this picture of these painted/carved pumpkin topiaries. People are so dang creative, aren't they?
But, don't you dare think you have to buy a million pumpkins, paint your front door and put a table on your porch to make it look fabulous and fall-y. No way. Just look:

Source: bhg.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Now, this is more like it! I love the simplicity of this front porch. Something about it is just so homey. And I'm totally digging that blue door and light fixture, but that's another post for another day.

Source: bhg.com via Jessica on Pinterest
What is with all these non-traditional painted front doors? Do you love it or hate it? I'm lovin' it and have already started brainstorming about attacking my front door with paint!

It’s in the Details …

Source: google.com via Jessica on Pinterest
If you do have a big porch with room for an old table and chairs, a vignette of pumpkins and foliage is absolutely adorable!

Source: bhg.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Another great trick for adding Fall elements into the outdoor design of your home, is by adding pumpkins, gourds, and dried cornstalks into your existing flower beds and window boxes. Instant fallification (yes, it is now a word. Boom.) without screaming It's Fall! in everyone's faces and annoying your neighbors.

Source: bhg.com via Jessica on Pinterest
I think this is so clever- place a few branches from your yard into a planter, add white lights, or specialty Halloween lights onto them and throw in a few pumpkins while you're at it. This is the perfect Halloween/trick or treating touch. Can't you see these lining your walkway as the little ghosts and goblins (or scantily-clad Britney Spears, or wierdly-clad Lady Gaga's, which I may or may not have seen in my neighborhood last year) come to get their candy? Ahhh…too awesome!

Source: thepaintedhome.blogspot.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Denise, from The Painted Home, decked out a tree in her yard and included the numbers of her house on painted pumpkins. As she says, you want Fall to know where you live.
It doesn’t hurt a girl to dream.

Source: room-galleries.myhomeideas.com via Jessica on Pinterest

Source: southernliving.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Yes, please.
(If you own one of these, please invite me over for some hot chocolate in front of a roaring fire. I'll be the best friend you never really wanted.)

What’s your front porch style? Over-the-top or Understated? Happy Thursday!

art, creative, Design, Fall, Home, and more:

Dress up that Front Porch! {Fall-Lovers Series: Day 4} + TrueCreative