My Creative Blog + TrueCreative

The {Bathroom} Game Plan

Last week I mentioned needing to overhaul the 1/2 bath in the hallway on our first floor. We haven't started that project yet (I'm dying to get started, but we're waiting for a little more moneycashflow first), but I know exactly what we're going to do. Like every other room in our house, I'm trying to move in the casual/coastal cottage feel. So you can expect to see lots of neutral colors, warm woods and rustic Pottery Barn-esque elements. The only thing I'm keeping in this room is the bathmat and the toilet. Everything else has seen it's last day. Here's our current"loo" situation:

On a side note: I didn't realize how badly this bathroom needed a makeover until after I took these pictures. Can we say boring with a capital"B"?

This builders-grade vanity has GOT TO GO!

Same with that terrible light fixture. How have I lived in this house for almost 4 years and not changed that thing out? Blech.

I'm thinking this mirror needs an upgrade (like a frame) or a replacement. I'm leaning towards replacing it with an unexpected mirror. Something different and unique.
Bathroom Makeover To-Do List:
1. Paint wide horizontal stripes on the walls.

Source: younghouselove.com via Jessica on Pinterest

Source: tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Adore that mirror, by the way.
I love that both these bathrooms have very subtle stripes on the wall. I'm thinking a tone on tone color, or even one color, painted in stripes with different sheens (semi-gloss and flat). I love these two colors that fall next to each other in the Benjamin Moore Historical color wheel: Elmira White and Grant Beige. You almost can't see much of a difference which is exactly what I want. I'm not hoping to bowl anybody over with loud colors in this room.

Also, I'm thinking really thick stripes, maybe five total, ceiling to floor.

2. Build a vanity out of an old table or desk.

Source: desiretoinspire.net via Jessica on Pinterest

Source: decorology.blogspot.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Ok, this is my favorite feature for the bathroom and is non-negotiable. This means that the whole makeover has to wait until I find the right piece of furniture. I'm hoping my luck will kick in soon and my next trip to the ReStore or thrift store will be the winner. Anyway, this is obviously a job for my hubs, but I've researched it, and it really is a pretty simple project. (I can say this since I will not be the one doing it. Ha!) I also saw a few sink bowls for really cheap at the ReStore my last time in there.
3. Add decorative items that also work as storage. Since this is the hall bath, I don't need much in the way of storage, but I do want to be able to hang a few towels and keep extra soap and toilet paper handy, especially since there won't be any storage under the new vanity. I'm totally in love with these vintage ladders and would be thrilled to score one. If I can't find a real vintage ladder, I saw a great tutorial on how to make one here.

Source: ourvintagehomelove.blogspot.com via Jessica on Pinterest
Surprise! The ladder above is a fake vintage ladder. Pretty convincing, huh?

Source: alovelyescape.blogspot.com via Jessica on Pinterest

Source: ballarddesigns.com via Jessica on Pinterest
I'm also liking this basket from Ballard Designs. It would go great under the new table/desk/vanity.
4. Install new lighting. The look I'm going for with the lighting is industrial. Not so industrial that it's modern, but just industrial enough to look rustic. I'm not sure if that made any sense at all, but these pictures help explain it a little better:

Source: decor8blog.com via Abbie on Pinterest
The lights above are my absolute favorites ever. If anyone knows where I can find one, please, I beg you, share the love!

Source: shadesoflight.com via Sarah on Pinterest

Source: houzz.com via Casey on Pinterest
5. Add a few fun elements like artwork, possibly some decorative trim (crown moulding), and wouldn't it be cute to add a door like this one?

Source: theletteredcottage.net via Jessica on Pinterest
ReStore, here I come!
So, what are your thoughts about my Bathroom Game Plan? Am I missing anything? Is there anything you hate? Discuss!

art, Design, diy, Home, and more:

The {Bathroom} Game Plan + TrueCreative