My Creative Blog + washi tape

Simple Washi Tape Tray Update

Most likely you've seen washi tape on Pinterest, in home decor magazines, and even in the stationary aisle at Target! There's a full-blown washi tape frenzy going on in America. So for those of you living under a rock, what is washi tape? It's basically super pretty masking tape that you can use for all kinds of crafts and home decor projects. Washi tape isn't new to me, actually I spent some time in Japan in high school and fell in love with it WAY back then (yes, high school was a long time ago… side note, I actually served my kids brussel sprouts last night. That was a major Oh my word, I'm old because I'm doing something I vowed never to do moment. Sorry, I digress) When I was in Japan, I feel in love with their awesome paper products including washi tape. I hadn't bought any since my time in Japan, and I decided it was time to have a little washi fun!

Buy Washi Tape

I jumped on Etsy and found that Pretty Tape had a great selection and totally reasonable prices. I went with a two-toned grey stripe and a yellow and grey floral. Aren't they cute together?

washi tape

Since I have a patio now (almost) I plan to be eating a lot of meals outside. I was at JoAnn Fabrics and found these white trays 70% off. I think they came down to around $4.00 each. While white is nice, I thought it was time to whip out the washi! Hi-Ya!

serving tray

These couldn't be any easier to make, so I'll keep it short and sweet. Put the tape on the tray and leave a little excess, so that you can trim it later.

washi tape project

I fully overlapped, because I wanted to cut a nice, clean angle where the two tapes met.

Washi Tape 2

Scissors work fine for washi tape, but I prefer using an X-acto. I'm way better with an x-acto than I am with scissors… maybe it's a lefty thing?

Washi Xacto knife

Did I mention that this was simple? Yup, that's all there is to it. I love the little bit of style it adds.

serving tray 2
Washi Tape Tray 2

One cool thing about washi tape is that you can remove it really easily! Since I plan to use mine for serving I'm sealing it with a coat of Modpodge. It won't be dishwasher safe, but I will be able to wipe it down by hand.

Washi Trays

There you have it, one of the simplest little face lifts that brought some cute style to my outdoor serving trays. Having a party on the 4th? Target sells washi tape- you could do a little Red, White, and Blue action on some pieces for your festivities and remove it when your bash is over!
Happy 4th of July!

************************ Don't forget to set your DVRs… Craftwars is on TLC again tonight! We're all jazzed up because one of our gal pals, Mandi from Vintage Revivals is on tonight's episode!

art, Craft, Craft Wars, CreativeBro, diy, Entertaining, Fabric, Outdoors, and more:

Simple Washi Tape Tray Update + washi tape